Friday, June 26, 2015

Seedlings

I checked on the seeding spots about a week to see if anything had emerged. 


When I cut the plastic netting on Melrose Street a few days before, it must have attracted someone's attention. The netting was completely rolled up and the spot was swept clean.


Only a few very rugged weeds were left.


It is possible that there are a few seedlings as well. faintly visible below the patch of weeds.


A few spots had seedlings, mostly clover, which is not bad. The clover feeds the soil and protects the other seedlings.


Some spots had not growth at all, but it can take time for the seedlings to emerge.


I thought that the seeds I had planted under my hydrangea had not worked. Several weeks later, I have zinnia, cosmos, and I think a sunflower.


Some of the spots were taken over with weeks, no doubt drawn to the compost. I have mixed feelings. I should probably pull the weeds up to leave room for the seedlings. But I kind of love weeds. Maybe they will feed the soil and I can plant seeds there next spring before the weeds emerge. Maybe the seeds will sprout up between the weeds. I am just observing for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment